Processing Machines and Equipment
Processing machines and equipment often have many processing stations in the materials and manufacturing processes and production cycles. The manufacturing systems can either be multilane or single lane. The product manufacturing may undergo a primary or secondary process where the primary processes are the immediate stages in a production cycle while the secondary processes take place at a later stage of product manufacturing. An example of a primary process is the making of a pie or cake and the secondary process is the icing of the pie or cake.
Processing machines and equipment are of different shapes and sizes and are used in making different products in the manufacturing sector. The product manufacturing involves the use of high technology manufacturing execution systems machinery and equipment in product manufacturing. Examples of these processing machines include food manufacturing machines, chemical manufacturing execution systems, soap making machines, agricultural manufacturing machines, textile manufacturing machines, medical industry machines, non woven bag machine and lean production machinery.
The types of equipment used in processing of products in the manufacturing sector include mixers, tanks, centrifuges, generators, compressors, and lifts. The companies in Kenya comprise of advanced manufacturing processing machines and equipment. The following are among the top 100 companies in Kenya that specialize in processing machines and equipment; Linkage Trading Company Limited, Kiganda Engineers and Supplies Limited, Lawrence Ochi Supplies, Crop Africa Ltd, DK Engineering, Marina Machinery, Desley Holding Braz Africa and Gantra Plant and Equipment Ltd.
Type of Processing Machines and Equipment
There are various applications that use processing machines and equipment such as water treatment, pipelines, steam power generator and salt water disposal. The following are the types of equipment and machinery used in materials and manufacturing processes by various manufacturing companies;
- Piping: This is a comprehensive manufacturing execution system used for flowing gas and fluid in basic industries from one point to another. Pipes are tubular in shape and design and are made of plastic or metal.
- Heat exchangers: This is a type of processing equipment used by industries in the manufacturing sector. They are often used in chemical plants, sewage treatments and petrochemicals plants.
- Vessels and tanks: A vessel is a container that handles a lot of pressure and a tank holds fluids at minimal pressure. It is important to consider the following in choosing a tank or vessel; functionality, location, fluid nature, volume needed, codes and regulations, temperatures and other secondary requirements.
- Pulsation Dampener: The main function of a pulsation dampener is to absorb all sorts of system shocks. This is through pipe vibration, water hammering, pulsation minimization and pressure fluctuations in a pipeline
- Valves: These are devices that regulate and control the flow of fluids, gases and liquids. Valves are used by chemical suppliers in applications such as industrial, manufacturing, agribusiness and engineering
- Filters:;These are equipments used by manufacturing industries in the removal of unwanted substances during materials and manufacturing processes. There are different filters in the markets which depend on the product manufacturing process
- Pumps: These are used by various manufacturing industries in the movement of fluids such as petroleum, chemicals, oil, gas and waste water. Examples include duplex pumps, tripped pumps, metering pumps, gear pumps and piston pumps.
Pros and Cons of Processing Machines and Equipment
The following are the pros and cons of processing machines and equipment
Pros of Processing Machines and Equipment
- There is the ability of using natural forces such as the use of airplanes, telephones and electricity generation machinery.
- Processing manufacturing and equipment relieves manufacturing companies conducting heavy tasks by themselves.
- Processing manufacturing and equipment increases the speed of job completion
- There is the benefit of obtaining accurate work through the use of processing machines and equipment
- The workers human muscle have been released from tedious labor work
- Use of processing machines and equipment has resulted in large scale production
- It has led to the mobilization of labor by employees focusing on other tasks
- There are more employment opportunities created such as the machine controllers positions
Cons of Processing Machines and Equipment
- Processing machines and equipment have made laborer’s work monotonous
- The skilled workers have lost their talents due to adoption of disruptive technology techniques
- People have began depending on processing machines and equipment and ignoring their talents
- The development of processing machines and equipment has began to be destructive such as the creation of atom bombs for destroying cities and buildings
- Environmental pollution is increasing due to the waste products produced by manufacturing industries in product manufacturing
- Use of machines and equipment has led to the overspecialization of tasks
- Processing machines and equipment has led to unemployment as they have overtaken laborers’ tasks and responsibilities
- There is also class conflict by use of processing machines and equipment that has created disruption in social harmony.