Packaging and Paper
The paper industry is a type of tertiary industry that comprises of chemical manufacturing companies that use wood as a raw material in the materials and manufacturing process of paper. The manufacturing system involved in producing paper is the paper making machine. The first paper product manufacturing machine was installed in Hertfordshire in the year 1803. The paper manufacturing industrial process uses primary packaging of its’ paper products before dispatching them to different contract manufacturing companies in the quaternary industry, infant industry, IT industry and other basic industries.
The paper product manufacturing industry has however has downfalls by being criticized by environmental groups such as the Natural Resources Defense Council for using original equipment in deforestation and cutting of forests and trees. Farmers in Central America have been noted for illegally cleaning vast amounts of forests for cattle and crop production. The chemical manufacturing companies have been criticized for buying timber from land owners hence contributing to extensive deforestation of the Amazon rainforest. The paper manufacturing sector industries consume a lot of energy and water and produce waste water with a high concentration of COD chemicals.
The paper manufacturing companies in Kenya are mostly involved in using the manufacturing execution system in producing paper products. The Kenya business directory has a number of paper manufacturing companies in Kenya which include; East Africa Paper Mills Ltd, Trans Africa Paper Mills, Rai Paper Mills, Chandaria Industries, Kartasi Industries, Double-A Kenya Limited, VIP Mills Ltd, Kensta Group and UNEECO Paper Products Limited.
Types of Packaging and Paper
Paper packaging plays a huge role in the service industry. Most of the manufacturing companies depend on paper packaging for complete product finishes to be delivered to customers. The following are types of packaging and paper uses by many product manufacturing companies;
- Paperboard boxes: This is a light paper material that is easily modified into many shapes. The paperboard boxes are used for primary packaging of consumer durables such as medicines, milk, cosmetics, juice, frozen foods and other light products.
- Plastic boxes: These are products that range from paper clips to spaceships. Plastic box packages can easily be recycled and airtight plastic packages can be used to preserve food.
- Polybags: This is a type of packaging normally used in primary packaging of food items, waste, chemicals, magazines, flowers and other light products. Polybags are durable, reusable, flexible, lightweight and provide security for consumer durables.
- Corrugated boxes: These type of boxes are normally referred to as cardboard. They are used for the shipping of large quantity of products as well as shoe storage boxes. They also come in various types depending on the strength and durability of the boxes.
- Rigid boxes: This is a type of paper box made up of condensed paper board. They are also known to be expensive and are mainly used in shipping. Rigid boxes are used by manufacturing companies in primary packaging of items such as jewelry, cosmetics, technology, and textile product manufacturing activities in primary packaging.
- Chipboard packaging: This is a type of paperboard packaging made of reclaimed paper stock. It is very cost-effective in primary product packaging.
Basics of Packaging and Paper
Currently, packaging and paper is a commonly known field of research and study. It is important to have a good packaging design and product manufacturing process to achieve great results. The following are the basics of packaging;
- Product specifications: It is important for manufacturing companies to comply with the specifications needed in primary packaging requirements. For example food packaging in food manufacturing requires to pass some primary packaging standards for continuous manufacturing processes.
- Objectives and Needs: It is important to meet the needs and objectives of customers in primary packaging and paper requirements. The packaging should be done in a substantial way to meet the consumer durable product packaging requirements.
- Finances: A good budget should be maintained to meet the primary packaging and paper requirements. The product quantity and product cycles should be well managed to efficiently meet the materials and manufacturing processes costs.
- Competitors: It is important for paper product manufacturing companies to produce high quality primary packaging and paper products that have higher demand than their competitors products. This will enable them to penetrate consumer markets and meet the demand for consumer durables.
- Marketing opportunities: Through consumer marketing strategies, manufacturing industries and manufacturing companies can be able to identify the manufacturing sectors that require primary packaging and paper products to manage their product manufacturing cycle.
Importance of Packaging and Paper
- The primary packaging materials are reusable and can be recycled
- Paper and packaging reduces environmental pollution
- The product packaging design attracts customers to purchase a product
- Packaging and paper can act as a tool of promotion in consumer marketing
- It helps in facilitating a consumer’s purchasing decision
- Packaging helps in differentiating one product brand from another
- Packaging enables a customer to identify with a particular brand such as Nice
- Packaging and paper helps in transportation of large quantity of products during shipping and manufacturing product cycles
- Packaging and paper uses disruptive technology in producing high quality packaging products.
- Customer’s can store their consumer durables in the house using packaging and paper