Textiles & Fabric Manufacturing
Textile fiber is one of the primary constituents in today’s’ world. Textile & fabric manufacturing is the exchange of fiber into yarn then yarn into fabric. It is then dyed or published before it is fabricated into clothes. The most natural fibers used to make clothes are; cotton, wool, and silk that produces the most elegant outfits. The primary purpose of textile manufacturing is changing the natural fiber into valuable products that include fabric, apparels, and home textiles through the consumption of exceptional finishing effects
The Kenyan market today has upgraded the textile industry into being competitive regionally and globally. It has taken the textile technology research, development, and revolution. The Kenyan market has also been able to attract an ample figure of external buyers where the statistics can grow much when we increase our competitiveness and diversify our markets.
The textile and fabric manufacturing industry has been recognized as a precedent sector by the Kenyan Government. Its eminence in the manufacturing column under the Big 4 Agenda and the Kenya Industrial Transformation Program is a display of its indulgent spot in the government’s thought processes. It has created a lot of job creations and opportunities within a short period. The textile and fabric manufacturing industry has brought vast prospects in cotton farming, textile mills, and the apparel/fashion industry.
Structures of textile & manufacturing in Kenya
In Kenya, this industry is diverse hence it has been divided into four parts, namely;
- Cotton developing and ginning – Cotton growing is mainly grown by minor farmers in borderline and arid areas; it is considered by a low average yield rate and poor cotton fiber quality.
- Yarn and thread production – it encompasses processes involved in altering the fiber into yarn. It was rooted in natural fibers obtained from natural plants or animal sources. They are then produced with impurities that were previously removed from the yarn.
- Fabric manufacture – it comprises of two types, the woven fabric produces the basic weaves like the plain, twill, and satin, While the knitted fabric that has characteristics of accommodating the body contour. Examples are sportswear, casual wear, and undergarments.
- Apparel manufacture –they are mainly design and manufacturing of a combined art and technology.
Various Stakeholders in the Textile & Fabric manufacturing in Kenya.
The yarn turning organizations include 140,000 shafts, a 40-50 percent right now being used. There are unusual separate yarn spinning plants that collect cotton and blended yarns, just as polyester, acrylic, and sewing strings. Yarn production is traded in Kenya and exported to Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Nigeria. Around 30% of yarn grinders are active.
Knitting and binding:
There are about separated factories, that shield the total creation esteem anchor from turning to weaving, coloring, and wrapping up. This factory is worried about sewing and four to weaving. Unbiased sewing and weaving organizations ingress yarns from India, China, and Taiwan, Indonesia yet, besides, use 85% of inside threads. The fifteen mills that are in the merging, binding, and ultimate commercial see a capacity operation of 50%
Dyeing and concluding:
There aren’t impartial staining and ultimate plants; this portion of manufacture worth chain is exceptionally cohesive by textile mills.
Design and sewing:
This section entails of firms private the EPZs, which are distributed into external savings companies, supplement manufacturers, and local companies placed in the Export Business Accelerator (EBA). They are around 93% of their textile stock are imported from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, and Pakistan; this frills, machinery, and spare parts oppressed in apparel production.
A 100% of EPZ harvest gets traded, typically to the various partnerships external the EPZ export worldwide. The rest is supplied in the resident market with harvests for internal hotels, conference resources, home design, and tourism.
Such segment are under the supports of the Ministry of Industrialization and Enterprise Development, which sets its calculated path. The various apex associations include:
- Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) and
- Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM),
- Cotton Growers Association,
- Association of Fashion Designers,
- Handloom Weavers Marketing
List of best textile manufacturers in Kenya
- Spin knit limited
- Rivatex East Africa limited
- Thika Cloths mills
- Sunflag textiles & Knitwear mills.
- Spinners & spinner’s Ltd.
- Alliance Garment Industries.
- KEMA East Africa Limited.
- Supra Textile ltd.
- They Towel manufacturers Ltd.
- Oriental mills ltd.
- Zig-zag furnishings
- Riera- Tex ltd.
Pros and cons of textile & fabric manufacturing in Kenya
- It offers maximum employment after agriculture
- The textile industry aids one of the elementary needs of humans.
- It has boosted the Kenyan Economy in the selling of textiles and fabric
- In Kenya, it has become one of the highly competitive industry.
- The danger to the small handloom and heritage cultural arts like hand block printing, hand embroidery.
- Water consumption and water pollution allied with the wet dispensation.
- Air contamination.
- Chemical hazards.
- Cotton dust causes breathing issues.
- High noise levels.
- Abuse of human resources. Wages acquiescence is a concern.
- Lack of safety measures to handle threats of working practices.
Tips for textile manufacturing industry
- Know the market
- Research for potential purchasers
- Interface with merchants for material printing and creation.
- Discover the texture.
- Deal with the income.
- Time Management.