Online Advertising is a type of marketing strategy which uses the internet to obtain website user traffic and eventually deliver the marketing message that is intended for a particular target audience. Online Advertising uses useful application in defining markets for the purpose of customer attraction. Online Marketing has evolved since the inception of Windows 2000 up to date and has led to the expansion of large corporations through increase in revenues and profits globally.
Online advertising is marketing strategy that uses the various features and tools available on the internet to target and deliver promotional messages to the right customers. There are many digital tools such as websites, blogs, apps, social media, search engines, online that can support an organization’s marketing efforts. These online tools help a business reach a high number of potential customers because the internet has billions of users all over the world.
Online advertising is also known as digital marketing, online marketing or internet marketing. Online Advertising is also referred to as internet advertising or digital advertising. The main advantage that companies obtain in adopting online advertising techniques is the wide promotion of products without considering any geographical limits. Online advertisements can generate revenue through different techniques such as;
- Cost Per Thousand – Advertisers pay when messages are delivered to a large audience
- Cost Per Click –Advertisers pay when a user clicks on an ad
- Cost Per Action – Advertisers pay when a certain action has been performed
Online Advertising is evolving globally and this is due to factors such as updates on market research, changing consumer needs, introduction of new technologies, and shifting marketing changes. This is how online advertising behaves as there is always something new to introduce to the online market. In order to develop the best Online Advertising techniques, one has to be fast in market research and obtain training in online marketing to be more efficient in the field.
Online Advertising Strategies
These are some of the most effective Online Advertising Strategies used by many companies in online marketing;
- Target your Audience – This strategy is mostly used in promoting a products brand image. Businesses should ensure that they have targeted a specific audience in ensuring that their needs and wants are met. The presentations made on the product brand should also be intriguing to customers.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – This is a type of Search Engine tool that enables a website to be more visible to end users. The SEO structures ensure that a company’s website is visible throughout under the lens of the search engine.
- Text Link Ads – This is a type of text that has been hyperlinked on a company’s website or blog. When online visitors click on the link, the advertiser is required to pay the publisher of the website or blog
- Social Media Marketing – Social Media is the main component in a marketing channel. Marketers have the ability of obtaining a lot of information through the use of many marketing channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter while considering the target audience and brand personality.
- Email Marketing – This strategy helps in increasing trustworthiness and also enhances the chance of a repeat business. A customer is able to build loyalty and trust with online marketers enabling them to build long lasting relationships.
- Big Data –Here, online marketers ensure that their ads are streamlined in many e-commerce websites so as to attract a large target audience. Big Data can also be accompanied by surveys where customers are interviewed on how the products they purchased helped them in certain ways or not
Basics of Online Advertising
In the modern world, any business, big or small can greatly benefit by making use of digital advertising tools. It can help a business increase sales, build brand loyalty and even receive immediate customer feedback. In order to succeed in achieving the above, any business needs to understand the following basics of digital marketing.
- Content marketing: Content marketing is the generation of content that increases brand awareness. This content should be shareable so that it entices customers to interact with the brand. The content can be in form of infographics, video, blog posts or even social media posts. Content marketing can help a lot in improving brand awareness and establishing the business as a thought leader in its field.
- Search Engine Optimization: Search Engine Optimization shortened to SEO refers to a set of practices that are used to ensure a company’s website, blog or social media ranks highly on search engines. This involves the use of specific keywords to be included on a page and ensuring that the company’s website is organized in a way that is easy to navigate and use. This is done in order to deliver the most relevant content and best customer experience.
- Email Marketing: This involves reaching out customers by using email. The emails can range from promoting a limited special sale to the sharing of industry updates as well as thought leadership articles. It’s important to let customers give their information willingly, instead of finding users based on external email lists.
- Social Media Marketing: This refers to the use of social media in promoting a product or service. It makes use of both paid and unpaid features on social media platforms such as facebook, twitter, pinterest, linkedin among others. Social media is important because its helps customers to easily share interesting content with likeminded individuals.
- Paid Search Advertising: This is a strategy that makes use of service such as Google Ads to promote businesses that appear on search engine results through advertisements. Businesses can pay to have their specific text ads appear anytime customers search for a designated term on Google.
Pros and Cons of Online Advertising
Even though most firms obtain large benefits from online advertising, they also encounter challenges with the marketing strategies. The following are the pros and cons of online advertising:
- Ability to reach a global audience: Online marketing is not limited by geographical boundaries and it has users all over the world. This means that a business, regardless of its size, is able to reach customers all over the globe. Access to this global audience also increases chances of success for the business.
- Low cost promotion strategy: Traditional advertising methods such as TV commercials, billboards and radio adverts are not cheap. Digital marketing platforms have features that suit businesses of all sizes whether, small, medium or large. This kind of flexibility enables businesses of any size to reach their targeted customers.
- Ability to measure results: Digital marketing provides the solid, reliable reports that show the exact results of how customers have interacted with a certain brand.
- Reach your target marketing easily: Online marketing can help a business reach its target market. Potential customers are also able to find the business fast with a quick search.
- Round the clock convenience: Digital marketing enables a business to accessible 24 hours a day throughout the year. It also provides a business with convenient payment tools that make easy to receive payments regardless of the time and the location from where the payment is sent.
- Customer distraction: There are very many options that customers obtain when they are online. These options include celebrity gossip, global news, shopping ads or music download. All these can distract a user from focusing on your online advertisements
- Technical Problems: These problems will cause a customer to have difficulty in viewing online advertisements. This is due to technical issues that occur in computer networks making companies to lose an opportunity of broadcasting their ads. The technical issues can lead to a slow computer connection, obtain applications and programs that are not properly installed or if a customer is using their mobile phones to view websites.
- Customers Ignorance: This is whereby customers ignore all forms of online ads when they are online by focusing on other websites other than the online advertisements. This will lead to a low count on the number of users who have viewed your online ads.
- Website Options: The internet has a huge platform where companies can place their advertisements. This can be quite overwhelming especially for small business owners. With very many options, it is hard to choose a particular website that will attract customers and thus increase sales
- Expensive Ad Prices: The total costs on text, banners and video ads often vary depending on the customer traffic and the amount of readership that a number of websites or blogs receive. The pay-per-click strategy on all online ads can lead to great expenses for companies which can cause a financial downturn in online advertising.
Tips for Online advertising
- Provide customer great experience: It is very important that customers have positive emotions and experiences regarding a business. To achieve this, a business should respond to customer queries with honest and helpful information. Taking this step ensures that customers are happy and it also increases their trust in the brand of the business.
- Choose the social media platforms to use: Different social media applications have different features. It is important for any business to understand these features and then come up with right strategy that for each feature. Doing this enables a business to maximize all the available features for maximum impact.
- Update social media content: A business should regularly update content on its social media pages. This helps a business to continuously engage its existing customers and also helps to build relationships with new customers.
- Create a strong social media presence: Using different media platforms such as facebook, YouTube, Instagram can be an effective way to boost a company’s brand and culture. It is also an effective way of building brand loyalty and keeping customers informed.
- Tracking online performance: A business can use digital analytics tools to better use its digital resources and make wise investments. Digital analytics helps a business gain valuable insights into the sources that generate traffic to the website and even the demographics and regions of the people visiting the website.