How to register a business in Kenya
registration of businesses in Kenya has been made easier and faster. One can
now do a name search and even register their business fully online on eCitizen. In fact, no manual registration of businesses will
be done by the registrar of companies since mid-October 2017.
The process of registering a business in Kenya is highlighted below:
A. Log onto eCitizen your account
For you to use the eCitizen platform, you need to have registered on it which is a simple process. After registering, log in then select “Business Registration Service”.
B. Name search
you are in the Business Registration Service, click on “Make Application” and
you’ll be navigated to a section where you will click on “Business Name
Registration”. In the next step, you will need to choose the type of business
you want to register plus your preferred business name. For instance you want
to register a sole proprietorship or partnership, choose that option and so on.
Kindly note that a name search is processed within a day and only one name can be submitted at a time. It is processed from Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm excluding public holidays.
C. Business Registration
Once the business name has been approved, you can then be allowed to register your business. The name search approval is not communicated via email so you have to keep checking the eCitizen website.
D. Requirements for registration
1. Fill company registration form otherwise known as CR1.
2. Fill details of directors and shareholders and upload scanned copies of I.D. card/passport, KRA PIN certificate and recent colored passport photograph. Directors/shareholders have to be registered on the iTax platform.
3. Fill shareholding details.
4. Fill a notification of directors’ residential address, also known as CR8.
5. Fill the statement of nominal capital.
Kindly note that you can now register a company with one person as both the shareholder and director. Registration takes a week and certificate will be available on the eCitizen platform for download.
Partnership and Sole proprietorship
1. Fill BN2 form
2. Upload ID card/passport, KRA PIN certificate and recent colored passport photographs of sole proprietor or partners as the case might be.
Registration takes a week and certificate will be available on the eCitizen platform for download.
– Name search – Kshs. 150
– Company registration – Kshs. 10,650
– Partnership and Sole proprietorship – Kshs. 1,000
We will be delighted to respond to any inquiries on the above information and in case of any difficulties faced during the above process.