Every organization or business person is always seeking new markets for their products. Competition has become more intense with the entrance of similar organizations in the market environment. However, due to the rapid growth and integration in technology, there has been the development of new marketing means and strategies, digital marketing is one of these approaches.
Digital marketing is the process of marketing your products and services through the application of digital mediums via the internet. These types of markets can be accessed through smartphones computers and tablets provided that one has an internet connection that links the user to the specific network.
Digital marketing has completely altered how brands and businesses use technology. For any organization or individual looking to expand on their market horizon, it would be advisable to apply these strategies. This is because there is an increasingly higher number of people using digital gadgets than going into the physical shops.
There are various reasons as to why a business should apply digital marketing technique. These reasons include;
- Due to a higher growing number of digital device users, there is a broader network of the products
- Gives a competitive advantage
- Enables tracking of performance progress
- Effective targeting of the Audience
Basics of Digital Marketing
Before choosing time and resource investment into digital marketing, it is very critical to familiarize with the basics regarding the application of these approaches. It must be noted that these basics are also the various strategy techniques applied in digital marking effective digital marketing employs the following components;
- Website design – information concerning the products is displayed on the websites; thus, this acts as the face of the business. It’s the user’s interface (color, design, structure) that affect how people perceive the product being marketed. Therefore, there should be stressing in the mean by which the site will reflect the personality of the website.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – after creating a good website, and hosting it, the business wants to direct the consumer to its content. When a user is searching for a specific product or service, they will first go and google it. There are always millions and millions of results, and to make your site to be these results, it must be optimized to the search engines i.e., Google, Yahoo, Bing, among others. This optimization is done through the incorporation of keywords for your product in the URL, meta descriptions, and title specifications.
- Social Media Advertising – this refers to the process of product promotion through the application of the various social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. This is very useful in that there is a wide range of people concede to these sites.
- Email marketing – this is a technique that involves sending emails to specific subscribers through email. This will lead to website traffic, and there is even product signup for the business.
- Content Marketing – in the application of digital marketing, content marketing involves the creation of a healthy relationship with the Audience of viewing the website and gives them high quality and reliable content regarding the product.
Features of Digital Marketing
The following are the features of digital marking;
- Interactive Communication – this refers to the process of the site interacting with the users
- Focused Audience Targeting – this refers to laying focus on a specific group of people
- Direct and indirect Audience reach out – reaching out to the consumers without having to bother them with phone calls and messages.
- Pre-determination of the goals to be achieved
Pros and Cons of Digital Marketing
By stepping into the world of digitization of the products, various pros and cons will be met in the course of reaching out to consumers.
- Low costs – if your business is operating under a tight budget, then you cannot exhaust what the digital market has to offer. Some of the platforms provided are free. Even when paying experts to develop the site and make the marketing efforts on your behalf, the cost is lower than the physical exertion of marketing.
- There is massive access by the Audience – technology has now increased the use of digital devices. In modern times a child of about 15 years will have a cell phone. They can access the site and social media platform and interact with the platform set, thus improving the Audience.
- Digital marketing covers different demographics simultaneously – despite the target set for the product since everyone is online and can access the site, there is a comprehensive view of the product despite their gender, age, and status.
- Digital marketing is fast – one post, comment, or status update will be able to capture the attention of the users quickly and will lay in the range of their concentration span.
- Due to interaction with the site, consumers can leave comments about a product that acts as a sales promotion technique. Additionally, these comments can be used to meet figure out the consumer requirements and improvements to be made to the product.
- A lot of time consumption – through the website design, and all other digital efforts to be made to the product, a lot of valuable time is spent.
- Adverse reactions – the sit will attract all manner of people; not all people will respond positively to your marketing efforts; others will leave a negative response which stains the business’s reputation.
- The first judgment of the impression of the site – the users will often judge the product being sold just from judging the site. Thus, a poorly constructed site will lead to poor results.
- Digital marketing is easy to copy – a person or individual can copy or skim the content of your site.
Steps of Setting up a Digital Marketing Strategy
- Setting various measurable goals – your business should identify the multiple goals and objectives to be achieved when initiating digital marketing. Pick the significant goals and lay much emphasis on them. The first step is understanding these goals and determine the various activities to be taken in archiving them. Additionally, these goals should be realistic depending on the nature of the business i.e., do not set goals that cannot be attained.
- Determine the Audience – get to know who your targets are. Different strategies can reach out to different groups; thus, knowing and understating your goal is critical.
- Know your brand – the brand is the main reason as to why the consumers will pick your product over the competitors. In simpler words, it can be viewed as your business personality. Identify the strongholds and work on various weaknesses.
- Pay essential attention to your competitors – always know what you are up against. Use the various difference between you and competitors to represent the uniqueness of your product.
Digital Marketing Agency Evaluation
If you are seeking to hire a digital marketing agency to manage and promotional activities in your site, it is critical to evaluate before making a decision on which agency to employ. The following are the evaluation points to follow up on;
- Enquire on the term “success,” according to the agency – a right agency will always seek to develop a comprehensive strategy rather than getting multitudes of followers and likers with no result.
- Investigate their fee structure – play along with the agency that will fit in your budget. Additionally, these companies will gain a certain percentage of compensation in the form of a portion of your adverts and social media transactions.
- Check their company blog – this will house the comments by another seller who might have previously dealt with the institution. Their responses will give you a clear indication of whether it’s a worthy agency or not.
- Enquire on the timeline/age of the agency – the longer the number of years, the more the experience.
- Check out their social networking profile
- Ask for some recent work accomplished
Here are some tips to help you cultivate the full potential of using digital marketing,
- Identify and know your customers.
- Focus on a long-term goal.
- Always be flexible in case there are a consumer requirement and preference shift.
- Make sure you have personalized your content.
- Remain consistent in the design of the platforms used.
- Be aware of the bigger picture when carrying out an analysis of the site’s performance.
- Never underestimate your competitors.
- Always take into account the various consumer responses.