Agricultural products are agriculture products that are delivered from the process cultivation of crops and animal products used to sustain human life. In a simpler term, Agricultural products are the products produced from the country’s agriculture department. In the last 50 years, research has shown that food is the most widely produced agricultural product. The element is measured in calories, and its security is ensured by the ministry of national food security and research.
There are four major Agricultural Products categories;
- Food – in a simple term, this is the production of food in the course of farming. Grains and cereals are the primary types of foods grown by half of the globe. However, it must be noted that food agriculture does not only involve the production of cereals and commercial grain farming. The process also consists of the production of animal products such as mil, meat, and eggs. Extensive fishing agriculture that results in the increase of fishing worldwide can also be categorized under food.
- Fuels – this can be referred to as the production of fuel such as ethanol from corn, sugarcane, and sorghum.
- Fibers – this has become a trending agricultural practice; it involves methods such as cotton farming, wool, and silk production. Such kinds of products are used to make elements such as rope.
- Raw materials – this is the production of agricultural products that are used to manufacture other finished products. For example, livestock farming enables the production of daily products such as meat and milk. These products are used to manufacture other products such as cheese and bacon.
Basic requirements for Agricultural Production
As suggested earlier, agricultural production involves the production of elements in agriculture. However, it must be noted that there are a few basic requirements for the agricultural production process. They include;
- Livestock farming system – this the type of agriculture that is mainly associated with the domestication of animals that are raised in and used for their produce. Livestock farming includes the herding of cattle, sheep, goats, and pigs.
- Agricultural machinery – agricultural production, like any other business, requires the assist from sophisticated machinery. This equipment aids in the process of making work much easier for the farmers. This machinery varies from the handheld tools to the power supplied equipment. Such equipment may also be referred to as farm machinery.
- Poultry farming system – this is a system that ensures the raring of poultry animals such as chicken. Like livestock farming, poultry farming also needs the use of machinery. This equipment is referred to as the poultry-keeping machinery. Products from this type of agriculture can be used as final products or can be used in the manufacture of other products.
- Soil science – this is the practical knowledge associated with soil cultivation. When a farmer wants to engage in agriculture, they must take an initiative of learning as much as they can about the soil in their area. Additionally, other practices, such as soil irrigation, are a necessity. Additionally, soil cultivation machinery is a significant entity in this type of produce.
Features of agricultural products
There are various features coupled with the production of agricultural produce. They include;
- Farming products are rapidly short-lived – this means that they are easily perishable, takin an example of dairy products such as meat and milk, they easily go bad and rotten if they overstay in storage without consumption.
- These are massive in nature – the agricultural production is usually huge; however, it mainly depends on the season.
- It is easy to control both the quality and amount of yield – the quality and amount of agricultural produce harvested. This is because techniques such as animal husbandry, poultry husbandry, soil irrigation, among others, lead to the improvement of elements in agriculture. Thus, such practices are used to control the quality, and amount yielded.
- Nature assumes a critical job in their creation – natural factors come in play in the production of such products. Taking an example in soil cultivation, its level of products is determined by the amount of rainfall and humidity. Thus, adverse natural factors lead to the degradation of the farm produce.
- Farming merchandise has inelastic interest – this means that the consumer interest in the farm produce does not change much even with the alteration in the price levels.
Problems Faced in Agricultural Produce
Various challenges are encountered in the course of agricultural production. These limitations include;
- Long waiting period – The creation of customers and new merchandise happens persistently consistently. Be that as it may, on account of farming merchandise, the growth time frame is excessively long; this is because nature is the primary determining element. Therefore, ceaseless creation can’t be thought of.
- Loss of yields because of pests and creatures – The returns should be shielded from irritations and creatures. Consistently, ranchers endure the substantial loss of income because of harvest misfortune brought about by the exercises of nuisances, creepy crawlies, and animals. To secure their yields, ranchers, thusly, use pesticides, bug sprays, etc. They likewise utilize an electrical wall to shield their yields from dairy animals, elephants, and different creatures.
- Hard to control production – On account of purchaser and modern merchandise, it is workable for the maker to practice direct control of the output. Be that as it may, on account of farming merchandise, nature assumes a fundamental job underway. On the off chance that the cultivator has planted the seeds and is anticipating downpours, the disappointment of downpours will hamper creation. Agricultural produce is a lot of subject to the accessibility of plenteous water. The accessibility of water relies upon precipitation.
- Primitive production methods and tools – farm machinery and tools are critical in the production system. Thus, a lack of modernized production methods and tools may pause to being a big threat to the process of agricultural production.
Pros and Cons of Agricultural production
- Increase in food production – there will be plenty of food and daily products produced.
- Creation of job opportunities – in the course of agricultural produce, there is the creation of jobs for the farmers and their associates.
- There is a lower cost of produce – due to the increased level of agriculture produce, the general price of the produce goes down.
- There is an increase in the state’s foreign currency due to trading with the agricultural elements.
- Promotion of local farmers and small state agricultural businesses
- There is a reduced level of the foreign agricultural industries.
Tips for Agricultural Production
- Have a well laid out plan for the production
- Acquire the right farming equipment
- Always identify the target market
- Always do what you love and what you are comfortable with.
- Set goals for the production
- Have a manageable cash flow